Dentures are a common dental appliance that can become broken or dislodged. A broken denture can be a real emergency if it is causing pain or if the denture is causing the mouth to become infected. A broken denture can also hinder your ability to eat and speak.
Continue reading to know if you need urgent care if you have a broken denture.
Common Reasons Why Dentures Break
There are many ways that dentures can break. Here are some of the most common methods:
- Improper Fitting: If dentures do not fit properly, they can easily break. This is because they will be more likely to move around and become dislodged.
- Dropping Them: If dentures are dropped, they can easily break. This is because they are made of fragile materials.
- Mishandling: If dentures are mishandled, they can easily break. This includes being stored improperly or being transported in a way that is not safe.
- Poor Quality: If dentures are made of inferior quality materials, they are more likely to break. This is because they will be less durable.
- Age: As dentures age, they are more likely to break. The reason is that the materials that dentures are made of will start to wear down.
Should You Repair Your Denture on Your Own?
It is not advisable to repair your denture on your own using a so-called denture repair kit from your local pharmacy. Dentures are delicate prosthetics that require expert evaluation and repair when they suffer damage. Attempting a DIY repair could compromise the ability of your emergency dentist in Perth to carry out a professional, longer-lasting restoration.
What To Do If You Have a Broken Denture
If you have a broken denture, you should contact your dentist as soon as possible to schedule an emergency appointment. They will try to get you in as quickly as possible to repair your denture. You can also buy denture repair kits over the counter, but this is not the best option and is not advisable. You need to have proper materials and knowledge to repair a denture correctly. Visiting the dentist is the way to go.
How Can An Emergency Dentist Help?
Your dentist wants to assist you in resuming denture use as soon as possible. When you come in for your emergency appointment, they will examine your denture carefully and determine what will happen next. A denture can be repaired right in the dental office in some cases. However, if the denture is severely damaged, your dentist may need to send it to a laboratory for repair. In some cases, a broken denture must be replaced completely.
Additionally, your denture may provide you with some pointers to help you avoid future denture damage. They may even suggest that you replace your denture with implant-supported teeth, which are more secure than traditional dentures and therefore less likely to slip and fall out of your mouth.
Mail-in Denture Repair
For effective emergency denture repair, you can use a mail-in service. To do so, you must first purchase a denture repair service. Following that, you must clean and disinfect your dentures. After that, you’ll need to securely package your dentures and mail them to your denture clinic. Your dentures will be repaired the same day and shipped to you as quickly as possible.
If you need emergency denture repairs or if your preferred denture clinic is unavailable, mail-in denture services are a great option. My Emergency Dentist provides affordable mail-in denture services. If you don’t want to go to the dentist, our professional mail-in denture repair service is a better option than emergency denture repair kits. Your dentures will be repaired quickly by our dentists, even for complex denture breakages, and the results will be far more effective compared to the DIY kit.
How to Prevent Broken Dentures
Safety steps are taken to help you ensure that your dentures last longer and prevent your dentures from breaking.
1. Handle your dentures with care at all times. They are devices attached inside your mouth, which is detachable, too. They shouldn’t slip from your hand.
2. Do not wear your dentures while sleeping. Instead, remove from and soak them in a glass of water to prevent drying out.
3. Clean out your dentures after every meal to prevent particles from settling between them and causing decay.
4. Replace broken or poorly fitted dentures. Visit an experienced dental clinic in Perth for better results.
When dentures are broken or damaged, it can be a dental emergency that requires immediate attention. Whatever else is done, patients should make an appointment to speak to a professional regarding the best steps to take regarding broken dentures and overall oral health.
Call My Emergency Dentist at (08) 9020 7222 to make an appointment today!
Back to top: Is A Broken Denture Considered As an Emergency?